Top Neurology Specialists That Make A Difference
Neurology is the branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis and the treatment of all the diseases and conditions that involve the nervous system and the physician that specializes in neurology is called a neurologist.
The nervous system includes the central and the peripheral nervous system and their blood vessels, coverings and effector tissue.
Neurologists are trained to diagnose and treat neuroglial disorders (http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/two-drugs-for-migraine-may-not-help-kids-study). Even though neurology is a non-surgical specialty, it closely correspondents with the surgical specialty – neurosurgery.
There is a long list of neurological disorders and they all affect the brain and spinal cord – central nervous system, the autonomic nervous system, the muscular system and the peripheral nervous system. Some of these disorders include, but are not limited to:
Types of Neurological Conditions
- Alien hand syndrome
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Bipolar disorder
- Bell’s palsy
- Brain damage
- Brain injury
- Brain tumor
- Cerebral palsy
- Chronic pain
- Huntington’s disease
- Wilson’s disease
There are many neurological diseases, and they all have different symptoms. In case you feel like you have even the slightest symptom, you should consult with a neurologist. Some of the best neurology specialists are located in Singapore and they will diagnose your condition and they will also treat it. If you choose to get a consultation with a neurologist located in many of the world-class hospitals in Singapore, you will get the best care.
Some of the symptoms of the neurological conditions include muscle weakness, partial or complete paralysis, seizures, unexplained pain and difficulty reading and writing. If you notice any of the symptoms, consult with your doctor, because if some of these conditions are left untreated, they can lead to more serious conditions and even death.
Top Neurology Questions:
How Do You Define A Neurologists In Singapore?
A neurologist is defined by the American Academy of Neurology as a physician specializing in the treatment of issues related to the brain and nervous system conditions. These neural specialists use various diagnostic examinations such as CAT scans, MRIs and EEGs to determine the order of health or lack of health of your neurology.
Top neurologists in Singapore tend to specialize in neurodevelopmental disorders, management of pain and other ailments.
If you are experiencing problems with your neurology, then is best you seek out a top neurologist to help you alleviate your problems and help you get back on your feet.
What Illnesses of the Neurology do Neurologists Treat?
There are a variety of neurological illnesses which doctors specializing in neurology treat. Among them are sleep irregularities, epilepsy, spinal cord injuries, tumours, strokes, multiple sclerosis (MS) and other nerve damage associated injuries like Parkinsons and tremors.
What’s the difference between Neurologists and Neurosurgeons?
There is a huge difference between the two types of specializations. Neurosurgery is a highly specialized field of medicine associated with the nervous system and it’s regular functions. It is clear from the wordings, that one of the type of specialist do not perform any form of surgical procedures. While most of the surface level testings and examinations done by these two types of specialists are very much the same; electroencephalograms, computer-assisted tomography and magnetic resonance imaging. There is a stark difference between the two.
Top neurologists while highly knowledgable in the field of the nervous systems are however not able to perform neurosurgery.
For this they move on patients to the reliable hands of neurosurgeons, as they are the ones performing surgical procedures on the brain, spine and nervous systems.
There are many questions about neurology and the conditions it studies, and here are even more questions, frequently asked:
- What is a neurological examination? – The neurological examination starts when the neurologist reviews the patient’s health history and the neurological exam typically tests the coordination, vision, sensation, reflexes and strength of the patient. These tests are not final and further tests may be needed in order to confirm the diagnosis or to find a treatment for the patient.
- What are some of the warning signs indicating you should see a neurologist? – There are a lot of symptoms that should warn you and that indicate that you need to have a neurological exam. Some of them include Muscle spasms or tics; Lack of coordination; Forgetfulness; Muscle rigidity; Sudden loss of sight; Loss of feeling or tingling; Headache which changes and Persistent or a sudden headache. You can find some of the best neurologists in Singapore and they will help you diagnose your condition as well as treat it.
- How are neurological disorders treated? – Some of the neurological disorders cannot be treated, but most of them can. The treatment is different for every condition. The best way to look for the treatment is to find the exact condition the patient has and to perform tests on the nervous system. In conditions that are not treatable, the neurologists tend to give the best quality of life to the patients.
- How long does a neuropsychological evaluation take? – Depending on the tests, complexity of the issues and the patient’s condition, a complete evaluation takes between two and five hours. In some cases, the evaluation can take up to eight hours and it might be necessary for the neurologist to complete the evaluation in two or more sessions.
- How can I find the best neurologist in Singapore? – Most of the hospitals in Singapore offer the best treatment as well as evaluations for neurological conditions. You will need to do a little research, but you should know that you are in good hands and you have nothing to fear. The tests are painless and your neurologist will help you every step of the way.
Even though neurological signs and symptoms are a reason for a panic, in most of the cases, the treatment is quick and easy. If you notice any of the symptoms don’t hesitate to contact your neurologist in Singapore and make sure you give them the needed information as well as your family history. You can also contact your neurologist if you have any other questions or concerns about your or your family’s health.