SIX Top Clinics To Help With Your Urological System (2020)
- SIX Top Clinics To Help With Your Urological System (2020)
- 1. Centre For Urology Robotic & Minimally Invasive Surgery
- 2. Dr Png Keng Siang of FeM Surgery
- 3. Tan Urology
- 4. BK Poh Urology
- 5. Comprehensive Urology & Andrology Services
- 6. Li Man Kay Urology Associates
- Questions On Issues Of Urology:
- How Do Kidney Stones Affect Your Urology?
- What Are The Conditions And Issues Top Urologists In Singapore Deal With?
- How To Diagnose Adult Incontinence or Temporary Loss of Bladder Control?
- What Procedures Do Singapore Urologists Undertake?
Best urologist in Singapore is now becoming a popular term searched for in this country. Urology is the part of the medicine that focuses on the diseases and the surgeries of the reproductive organs, as well as the male and female urinary tract system and the doctors that perform the surgeries, are called urologists (http://www.technavio.com). The organs that are under the domain of urology are the kidneys, ureters, urinary bladder; also, testes, seminal vesicles, prostate, and penis.
Urology usually is on the cutting edge of the technology, specifically, the surgical technology and this includes minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery, laser-assisted surgeries and many other types of scope-guided procedures. The top surgeons that perform these types of surgeries are called urologists and they are trained to use minimally invasive techniques.
Urology is closely related to endocrinology, colorectal surgery, oncology, Andrology, pediatric surgery, gynecology, and gastroenterology. There are many hospitals in Singapore that have the some of the best urologists in their teams and all the patient needs are to do a little research about the doctor they want to consult.
However, if you need assistance locating the top urology surgeons in Singapore we’re here to help! We’ve carefully curated a list of FIVE of the very best urologists Singapore has on hand:
1. Centre For Urology Robotic & Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Name: Dr Tan Yeh Hong (Senior Consultant Urologist)
- Clinic: Centre For Urology Robotic & Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Location: Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre (Orchard), 3 Mount Elizabeth #16-15, Singapore 228510
- Highlights: Dr Tan is the current President of Urology Association of Singapore.
- Website: www.drtanyehhong.com
- Contact: 6733 9233
Dr Tan currently holds the position of Senior Consultant Urologist and Medical Director of a urology clinic he has headed successfully at Mount Elizabeth Hospital.
In 1991 he graduated from National University of Singapore and thereafter went through advanced training in urology at Singapore General Hospital (SGH).
After his advanced training with the Urology Board Examination in 2002 his passion lead him to undergo training with Clinical Fellowship in Laparoscopy and Endourology (accredited by Endourological Society, USA) at Duke University, USA under the guidance of Professor Glenn Preminger and Professor Albala (2002-2003). He also did a Preceptorship in Minimally Invasive Urology / Laparoscopic Surgery at Cleveland Clinic Foundation, USA (2003-2004)
2. Dr Png Keng Siang of FeM Surgery
- Name: Dr Png Keng Siang (Senior Consultant Urologist and Robotic Surgeon)
- Clinic: FeM Surgery
- Location: Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital, 38 Irrawaddy Rd, #11-53, Singapore (329563)
- Highlights: He was the first Singaporean Urologist to complete a minimally invasive surgery fellowship in the US dedicated to robotic surgery and laparoscopy.
- Website: www.femsurgery.com/dr-png-keng-siang
- Contact: 6339 1101
Dr Png was literally the 1st Urologist in Singapore to finish a minimally invasive surgery fellowship in the United States of America, focused on robotic surgery and laparoscopy, which was also accredited by the Endourological Society at the highly acclaimed Indiana University School of Medicine.
During his stint at Indiana University, he worked with the past President of the Society of Urological Robotic Surgeons, Professor Chandru Sundaram. Presently, he holds the position of Senior Consultant Urologist and Robotic Surgeon at the Urology Centre in FeM Surgery.
3. Tan Urology
- Name: Dr Lincoln Tan (Consultant Urologist)
- Clinic: Tan Urology
- Location: Gleneagles Medical Centre, 6 Napier Road #05-03, Singapore 258499
- Highlights: Dr Tan was the main investigator in a novel study in Singapore which confirmed the use of the Prostate Health Index to enhance the diagonsis of those men at a risk of prostate cancer in order to substantially reduce unneeded biopsies.
- Website: www.tanurology.com.sg
- Contact: 6732 6503
Dr Tan is a dedicated advocate for patients suffering from Prostate Cancer. For several years, he passionately participated in the “Movember” campaign and has facilitated and organized numerous educational talks for the general public and together with primary care physicians.
He was also the chairman for Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, and still sits in his capacity as the Chairman of the Singapore Cancer Society (SCS) Prostate Cancer Survivorship Programmes Advisory Committee.
Dr Tan is feels extremely privileged to be a faculty member of the Asian Urological Surgery Training and Education Group (AUSTEG), which is a group of urologists from the region who are dedicated to collaborate with each other and share training opportunities in endourology to new trainees across Asia. He has also been active in giving talks overseas including in countries like Indonesia, Malaysia, China, Philippines and Nepal.
4. BK Poh Urology
- Name: Dr Poh Beow Kiong (Consultant Urologist)
- Clinic: BK Poh Urology Centre
- Location: Gleneagles Medical Centre, 6 Napier Road #07-18, Singapore 258499
- Highlights: Dr Poh was closely involved in the R&D of new-generation endourologic stents. His efforts contributed to the development of the incredible MicroStentTM (PercSys).
- Website: www.bkpohurology.com
- Contact: 6471 1450
He is one of the first urologists in Singapore who helped refine the methodology associated with laparoscopic retropubic radical prostatectomy (lap RRP) for the purpose of identification of prostate cancer. Dr Poh is focused on specializing in advanced Minimally Invasive Surgery and Endourology, including Retrograde Intrarenal Surgery (RIRS). As one of the top most experienced urological surgeons in sunny Singapore, his efforts has resulted in lap RRP evolving into an extremely efficient and oncologically safe procedure with post-operative complication rates comparable to those of major medical centres globally.
5. Comprehensive Urology & Andrology Services
- Name: Dr Simon Chong (Consultant Urologist)
- Clinic: Simon Chong Urology and Andrology Centre
- Location: Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre (Orchard), 3 Mount Elizabeth #16-11, Singapore 228510
- Highlights: Dr Simon is a Lecturer of the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine of the nationally prestigious National University of Singapore.
- Website: www.drsimonchongurology.com
- Contact: 6262 3683
6. Li Man Kay Urology Associates
- Name: Dr Li Man Kay (Urologist & Kidney Transplant Surgeon)
- Clinic: Li Man Kay Urology Associates
- Location: Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital, 38 Irrawaddy Rd, #08-38, Singapore (329563)
- Highlights: Dr Li focuses heavily on the transplantation of the kidney organs.
- Website: www.limankay.com.sg
- Contact: 6479 7388
Dr Li Man Kay has produced hundreds of articles in medical journals nationally, regionally and internationally. He’s focus remains on the transplantation of the kidney organs and has perform the surgical procedure successfully on numerous patients both locally and internationally. On top of kidney transplants, he also provides the following urological services to patients in need, addressing infertility issues, bladder tumours and incontinence of urine.
The fact is many patients wait until is too late before they visit a Singapore urologist and they tend to ignore the symptoms they have. There are a few common symptoms that you should pay attention to, they include, but are not limited to:
- Painful urination
- Blood in your urine
- Testicular pain or lump
- Change or elevation in the PSA level
- Frequent urination
- Urge to urinate often
- Sexual issues
- Urinary inconsistence.
If you have noticed any of these symptoms associated with your urology, it is best to consult with your doctor, or if you don’t have one, there are many clinics in Singapore that offer the best patient care and the top urologists. When patients decide to ignore the symptoms, it can lead to many serious conditions, like benign prostatic hyperplasia, kidney stones, tumors, erectile dysfunction, bladder or kidney cancer and so on.
Questions On Issues Of Urology:
When it comes to urology, both men and women have pressing questions which need to be answered immediately. As Urology deals with the necessity of day to day bodily functions, here are some of the most common questions and answers to help you out:
How Do Kidney Stones Affect Your Urology?
Kidney stones are known as renal calculi which are basically solid masses of solidified minerals. These stones originate in the kidneys but can also appear anywhere on the urinary pathway, namely the bladder, urethra and ureters too.
The reasons why these crystalized solids form comes down to several factors;
Build Up of Uric Acid
Uric acid build up in urine is usually the result of an overtly excessive diet of proteins, usually animal proteins of beef, shellfish and other meats. The protein in the meat results in excess purines which pumps up the level of uric acidity of urine.
This is cause for concern as crystalization will begin to occur.
Overdose On Calcium
Suprisingly, a diet consisting of high in calcium foods will also cause the minerals to crystalize and become stones in the kidney system. The foods you should avoid excessive eating when it comes to calcium are as follows:
Formation of Struvite Crystals
When women have UTI (urinaray tract infections), one of the side effects is that stones can formed which then causes urinary obstructions. These unique form of stones come about from kidney infections and remedying this issue, the underlying infection will block the development of struvite stones.
These rare form of stones are developed genetically in the bodies of both men and women with the genetic propensity for it. What happens is cyctine leaks from the kidneys into the urine and through this action stones are formed. Although, this form of stone formation is extremely rare.
What Are The Conditions And Issues Top Urologists In Singapore Deal With?
Singapore based urologists treat a wide spectrum of issues throw the urological system out of balance in both males and females:
For men in Singapore urologists are adept at treating the following issues; removal of kidney stones, erectile dysfunction with wave therapy, inflammation of the prostate gland, enlarged scrotal veins.
For women in in Singapore, urologists treat the following; urinary tract infections and remedies, kidney stones removal, over-active bladder and more.
For children in Singapore urologists treat the following; night bed wetting, late to descend or undescended testicles and more.
How To Diagnose Adult Incontinence or Temporary Loss of Bladder Control?
Should you be experiencing the symptoms of temporary loss of bladder control you need to seek the advice of your physician immediately. He or she will be able to make a full and proper diagnosis of your condition.
It’s likely if your symptoms are in alignment with the symptoms of incontenience that you would be referred on a top urologist to treat it asap.
If you have a journal of your daily fluid movements, now is the time to present it to your physician. As it would likely list out unusual patterns present in your day to day life.
If symptoms are still unclear, then you may need to take things a step further and perform tests as follows:
– Urodynamic Test: This test messures the volume and rate of emptying of the bladder. A test is then done on how much urine is left. This is a simple test which takes into account how much of a blockage is present in your bladder due to issues with your muscles and nervous systems.
– Cystogram: Your physician will provide a liquid for you to consume which will then fill your bladder. At this point an X-ray will be taken. This method measures any problems with holding fluid in your bladder. Should there be an issue it will be revealed in your X-rays.
– Cystoscopy: This is the most invasive form of investigation of the three, this is where a tube is inserted into your urethra. This allows the doctor to check for structural issues
What Procedures Do Singapore Urologists Undertake?
Top urologists in Singapore perform a myriad of procedures to help their patients with their urological issues. Chief amongst the tests they perform are as follows:
This is a procedure to identify any bacterial infections present in your urine. This helps urologists to determine if the course of action and remedies necessary.
This is a practical examination which allows your urologists to measure the pressure and volume of displaced urine from your bladder. This allows them to ascertain if there are any nervous or muscularature issues with your bladder.
A very invasive procedure for most people. Men and woman. Your top urologist will be inserting a tube like element through your urethra mainly in order to ascertain structural issues.
There are several types of scans that can be done. These include X-rays, CT scans, MRI and ultrasound scans all for the purpose of determining your issues without any invasive methods.
Apart from these typical tests, top urologists in Singapore are also highly adept at performing various forms of surgeries, such as kidney transplants, biopsies of prostate and bladder, prostatectomy, vasectomy to prevent pregnancy and more.
- What does blood in my urine mean? – It is pretty stressful when you see and have to tell your urologist that you have blood in your urine, but it is better to consult your Singapore doctor on time than to wait. Some of the most common causes of blood in the urine are urinary stones; urinary tract inflammation or infection; cancer of the urinary tract (prostate, kidneys, bladder); benign enlargement of the prostate or injuries to the urinary tract.
- Why do I have to go to the bathroom so often? – One of the most obvious and common reasons why you have to go to the bathroom so often and even get up at night to urinate is a bladder infection also known as cystitis. Urinary frequency is common in men that have benign enlargement of the prostate. In some rare cases, this symptom can have a neurological cause in the spinal cord or the brain. The best way forward is to consult a urologist.
- Why do I dribble urine after I urinate? – This is a common and pretty troublesome problem for many men and the reason is not completely known. It is usually a combination of several causes like the sluggish urinary flow and terminal dribbling. In women, the cause is usually due to some weakness in the pelvic muscles. Contact your urologist for more information.
- Why does my bladder hurt all the time? – There are many reasons why you feel pain above the pubic bone and below the navel. One of the most common causes is urinary tract infection or inflammation. Other reasons can be gastrointestinal issues, gynecological issues (in women) or there can be some other infection or issue with the genitals or skin. One of the possible, but rare causes of pain in your bladder is interstitial cystitis and this affects both, men and women.
- What does blood in my semen mean? – This is a rare symptom and even though it is not life tethering, it can be pretty surprising and alarming. This symptom usually appears after a biopsy of the prostate. The most common cause is infection or inflammation of the prostate and cancer is one of the rarest cause. So, even though you have to visit your urologist, blood in your semen is not a serious symptom.
Finding the right doctor – the best urologist, is really important, and being honest with them is even more important, so don’t postpone the examination and look for the right and the best urologist for you in Singapore. Many women think that a urologist is a doctor just for men, but these doctors are trained to treat problems that affect the urinary tract. Urologists also treat problems with the reproductive system in both women and men.
If you notice any of the common symptoms associated with your urology, or even if you have any other concerns or questions about your urology make sure you consult a certified urologist. Most of the hospitals in Singapore provide great urological care and overall service to the patients and the patients can be sure that the top urologists in Singapore are taking care of them.