GENERAL SURGERY SINGAPORE
General surgery is a surgical medical field that focuses on the abdominal area, including stomach, esophagus, small bowel, liver, pancreas, colon, gallbladder and bile ducts and sometimes the thyroid gland. General surgeons need to have a wide range of knowledge and surgical skills to perform the surgery depending on the specific case (https://www.sgh.com.sg/Clinical-Departments-Centers/General-Surgery/Pages/overview.aspx).
Very often they need to perform the surgery in emergency situations. General surgery often deals with conditions and diseases of the skin, soft tissues, hernias, and breasts. In Singapore, the patient can find the best general surgeons in nearly every hospital in the country. These are the most common sub-specialties of the general surgery.
- Trauma surgery
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Colorectal surgery
- Breast surgery
- Vascular surgery
- Transplant surgery
- Endocrine surgery
- Surgical oncology
- Cardiothoracic surgery
- Pediatric surgery
A well trained general surgeon Singapore is often a member of the Singapore Medical Association or the Association of Surgeons of South East Asia. General surgery deals with these conditions:
- Health problems of the gastrointestinal tract, beginning from the esophagus to the anus
- Kidney and liver transplantations
- Abdominal trauma
- General children surgery
A lot of the general surgeons specialize in only two or three sub-fields, doing their best work during the surgery. They have an important role in the emergency situations, when they need to perform the procedure under a specific circumstance, such as accidents when the patient needs to undergo surgery immediately.
When it comes to general surgery, these are the most asked questions on the Internet:
- What can the patient expect on their first visit to the general surgeon? – The general surgeon will run some examinations to the patient, analyzing the health condition. After that, they will perform diagnostic tests and recommend an appropriate treatment. They will also help you to choose the best surgical procedure for your condition (if there are more options).
- What are the risks of undergoing a surgery? – Almost every surgery is associated with certain risks and the general surgeon needs to explain the benefits against the risks to the patient. Every surgeon needs to provide clear information about the possible risks and side effects. Also, the surgeon should explain how to deal with the post-surgical pains and try their best to avoid the complications.
- What kind of anesthesia will the patient receive? – There are four types of anesthesia, including general, regional, monitored and local. The type of the anesthesia depends on a few factors such as the kind of the surgery, the length of the procedure, the overall medical condition or the surgeon’s preference. The patient needs to meet with an anesthesiologist before the surgery and discuss the options. The best anesthesiologists will provide all the needed information, advantages and side effects of every anesthesia type. Sometimes, the patient may choose what type of anesthesia will be used.
- What do I need to do the day or night before the surgery? – Every surgeon will give pre-operative instructions to their patient. Very often, the patient shouldn’t eat and drink on the day of the surgery. If there is any change in the physical condition, such as cold or flu, the patient should notify the surgeon, so the surgeon can decide to start or postpone the surgery. In general, the surgeon will give the patient specific instructions to follow before the surgery.
- Where can I find the best accredited general surgeons in Singapore? – There are a lot of educated and accredited surgeons in Singapore that work at the best general surgery departments in the country. The patient can find them at the General Hospital in Singapore, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Gleneagles Hospital or at Mount Elizabeth Hospitals. With a simple Internet research, the potential patient can find the best general surgeons near them.
The hospitals in Singapore provide great general surgery and emergency services to the patients. All the interventions are followed with a hospital care when the doctors are following the post-operating recovery of the patient. The patients can always be sure that their life is in the best hands in Singapore, nevermind if they have appointed intervention or it’s a case of emergency.