Otoplasty Singapore: Are Perfect Ears Possible In 2020?
If you have ears which are larger than usual, or you are unhappy with the general shape of your ear, it is possible to have them look more balanced and proportioned to the rest of your face with otoplasty. In Singapore otoplasty (ear surgery) is only allowed to be performed by accredited surgeons with a special interest in the field of plastic surgery.
Otoplasty is a surgical procedure which can help to alter the shape of your ears into something more preferred. Below is a general illustration for the purpose of helping you understand what otoplasty surgery accomplishes in Singapore.
Otoplasty (Ear Reshaping) Explained
Otoplasty is considered a very common procedure. It is a procedure designed to re-establish normal balance to your overall facial shape and improve the appearance of your ears.
Children as young as 8 years old have been known to perform this procedure, under general anesthesia. Adults may prefer local anesthesia when going through the procedure.
The surgeon will make a small incision at the back of your ear to expose ear cartilage. The idea is simple, bend the ear towards your head permanently into a more desirable shape.
Stitches may be used to maintain the new shape of your ears temporarily. A faint line at the back of your ear is to be expected, however, this is usually hidden from the view of others and fades away with time.
5 Frequently Asked Questions About Ear Reshaping Surgery
(1) Is ear surgery permanent?
Yes. Once you’ve completed your otoplasty surgery in almost all cases the ear tends to remain in the post-operative shape.
(2) Will there be any side-effects?
Side-effects such as swelling, redness and such are to be expected in all surgical processes. However, these will heal over in a few days and your ear will look perfectly normal should you avoid any sources of infection.
(3) I have uneven ears, can otoplasty help me?
Yes, if you have one ear which is larger than the other, otoplasty can be used to correct it and add balance and symmetry.
(4) What happens after otoplasty surgery? Can you tell me about the recovery process after ear surgery?
There are a few steps you should be aware of post-surgery. After a well executed otoplasty performed by a surgeon with expertise in ear reshaping you should experience the following:
- Day 1 = You would be encouraged to put on a mild compressive head gear. You may notice that your ear becomes slightly larger (temporary) from swelling.
- Day 2 to 3 = You should be already wearing the compressive head gear as much as you can. Swelling starts to go down.
- Day 4 to Week 1 = Here, you may be able to return to normal activities (you would still have to stay away from strenuous actions) and duties at your workplace. Moreover, if your hairstyle allows it, you could be returning to normal activities sooner.
- Week 2 to Week 3 = Almost all patients here, feel comfortable to participate in social activities.
- Month 1 to 3 = Swelling completely subsides.
(5) How much is otoplasty/What is the cost of otoplasty surgery?
Generally speaking, otoplasty surgery can cost a few thousand dollars depending on the severity of your problem and if you would like to perform it on one ear or both ears. Hence the best way to get a definite price quote in Singapore is to speak to the surgeon himself.